WSOP | Tournaments | Event Updates
Auto Refresh Rate:

2010/11 WSOP Circuit - HARVEYS LAKE TAHOE (Nevada)

Sunday, November 21, 2010 to Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Event #30: $1,600 No-Limit Hold'em Main Event

  • Buy-in: $1,600
  • Prizepool: $354,240
  • Entries: 246
  • Remaining: 0


view updates for day:
Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:30 PM Local Time

Aaron Kanter

Ted Bort raised from the hijack seat to 2,500 and Aaron Kanter made the call from the big blind. The two of them saw the flop come down paired,    . Both checked and the   appeared on the turn. Kanter checked to Bort and he fired 3,000. Kanter made the call.

The river produced the  , double pairing the board. Kanter checked and Bort fired 5,000. Kanter made the call.

"Nothing," said Bort. Kanter then turned over the    for ace high with the two pair on board. A very similar call to the one he made earlier against "Captain" Tom Franklin. Bort showed the   , playing the board.

Kanter moved to 32,000 while Bort slipped back to 30,000.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:11 PM Local Time

David Robinson raised from under the gun to 2,400. He was called by the player on the button and the player in the big blind. The flop came down     and the big blind checked. Robinson fired 5,000 as his continuation bet and won the pot right there. He's moved up to 48,000 now.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:05 PM Local Time

Junior Merafuentes

On the flop of    , action was checked around between one unknown player, Junior Merafuentes and Tony Bracy to see the   pair the board on the turn. Action checked to Bracy on the turn and he bet 3,000. The next player called and then Merafuentes raised to 6,000, the minimum. Bracy and the other player both called.

The   appeared on the river and after the first player checked, Merafuentes fired 10,000. No one called him and he won the pot, showing the    for a full house.

Merafuentes is now up to about 94,000 in chips.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:00 PM Local Time

Tony Bracy

On the board of     , Tony Bracy was set all in by his opponent. After a couple minutes in the tank, Bracy made the call holding the   . His opponent had tried to push him off with the    and acknowledged Bracy's good call.

The river completed the board with the   and Bracy's jacks held tough. He called all in for 15,700 and now has 71,000 in chips.

After the hand, Bracy stood up and began barking to get the attention of friend Ted Bort from across the room. Bort asked if he doubled up and Bracy gave him the nod that he did.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:31 PM Local Time

We've got 9 levels behind us, and the players are off for a one-hour dinner break. Play will resume at 7:30 p.m. local time.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:20 PM Local Time

We were just thinking, "I wonder how many chips Jason DeWitt has" when we looked up to see him walking past our desk. He had a shirt in one hand, an empty bottle of water in the other, and he was slowly meandering through the room and towards the exit. He stopped off at a buddy's table, and although we're too far away to have heard the bad beat story, there was a lot of shrugging and shaking of the head and frowning, and DeWitt eventually made his way out into the maze of slot machines on the casino floor.

DeWitt's Main Event is over.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:17 PM Local Time

A player in middle position opened his second consecutive pot to 1,600, and Ted Bort was one of two callers to come along to the flop.

It brought      , and the raiser continued out with another 1,600 chips. Bort asked for an eyeball of his stack before raising to 4,000, and that was enough to win him the pot.

"Don't mess with the big dog!" Bort said. "Bow-wow yippee-o bow-wow."

Bort is up to about 27,000 again.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:02 PM Local Time

On the flop of    , "Captain" Tom Franklin checked to Aaron Kanter. Kanter fired 1,500 and Franklin made the call.

The turn completed a possible heart draw with the   hitting the felt. Franklin led out for 2,500 and Kanter mucked his hand.

"No more tickling," said Franklin.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:02 PM Local Time

Steve Brown open-limped from middle position and the player in the hijack seat limped as well. The button also limped and after the small blind folded, the big blind checked his option.

The flop came down     and action check around to the player on the button. He fired 1,775 and only Brown made the call.

The turn brought the   and Brown checked. The button fired a big bet of 10,000. Brown couldn't call and mucked his hand. He's still got 82,000 in chips though.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:50 PM Local Time

We caught up with the action on the turn in a hand involving three players, one of whom was WSOP-C Southern Indiana winner Woody Moore. The first player, Junior Merafuentes, checked and the next player bet 700 on the board of     . Moore put in a raise to 3,800 and Merafuentes called. The other player folded.

The river completed the board with the  . Merafuentes checked and immediately Moore moved all in for 27,575. Merafuentes went into the tank, eventually piping up and saying, "Oh my gosh… sorry guys." A few moments later he added, "Sick, this is so sick."

Another half a minute or so ran by and then Merafuentes made the call. Moore showed the    for just a pair of threes to go along with the kings on board. Merafuentes tabled the    for trip kings and won the pot. He had Moore covered and sent the WSOP-C Southern Indiana champion out the door.

Merafuentes now has 75,000 in chips.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:47 PM Local Time

The gentleman under the gun opened the pot to 1,500, and Aaron Kanter called two seats over. From the big blind, Grant Hillman stuck in a three-bet to 4,800 total, and the initial raiser moved all in for 22,675. That quickly folded Kanter, but Hillman was facing a big decision. The call represented about half his stack, and he tanked for a minute or so before saying something along the lines of, "I'm not good enough to fold this," as he plunked in the call.




The flop was a disaster for the all-in player as it came       to pull Hillman into a huge lead with two to come. The   turn ended any drama right there, eliminating another player and moving Hillman up into big-stack territory. He appears to be the chip leader in the room right now, stacking up a pile of just less than 70,000 chips.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:04 PM Local Time

Woody Moore saw a flop from the small blind against David Robinson in the big blind. The first three community cards were dealt the     and Moore fired 1,200. Robinson made the call.

The   was added on the turn and Moore led out with a bet of 2,100. Robinson put in more than that, raising to 7,000. Moore gave it some thought. He mulled it over for about 45 seconds and then mucked, dropping back to 40,000 in chips. Robinson improved to 31,000.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:03 PM Local Time

Officially 246 players have bought into this WSOP Circuit Championship event in Lake Tahoe. Their Benjamins have generated a prize pool worth $354,240 with the payouts being distributed among the final 27 players. The bottom payout level is worth nearly twice the buyin, and the five-figure pay days start with 7th place ($12,611). Going up from there, each of the top five will pocket more than $20,000, and there's more than $50,000 guaranteed to each of the final two players. Whoever wins that last heads-up duel will walk away with $86,789, a shiny new piece of bling, and a golden ticket to the $1,000,000 season-ending National Championship freeroll.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:59 PM Local Time

"Captain" Tom Franklin fired a bet of 5,500 on the final board of      . His opponent tanked for a couple minutes and then made the call, to which Franklin tapped the table and mucked his hand. His opponent had the show per rules of the WSOP Circuit and opened up the    for ace high. Franklin was knocked down to 14,600 after failing to be able to pick up this pot.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:59 PM Local Time

Action folded around to the small blind and he raised to 1,200. WSOP-C Southern Indiana winner Woody Moore made the call in the big blind and the flop came down    . The small blind fired 2,500 and Moore called.

The turn brought the   and the small blind checked. Moore checked right behind him to see the   complete the board on the river. The small blind checked and Moore tossed out a bet of 6,000. His opponent tanked for about two minutes and then raised all in for 8,300 total, just 2,300 more. Moore quickly called.

The small blind tabled    for ace-king high and lost to Moore's    for trip tens. Moore won the pot, busted the player and sent his stack up to about 45,000 chips.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:56 PM Local Time

We walked up to a four-way pot in time to see the dealer put       out on the flop. The first three players checked to the button, and the player there made a bet of 2,800. Aaron Kanter called, Tom Franklin folded, and action came to Ted Bort, the last to act. After a moment of thought, he announced an all in for 18,625 total. The initial bettor called all in for just less than that amount, and Kanter got the message and ducked out of the way.

"Good call," Bort said. "Great call." He turned up     for the draw, and his opponent's     had flopped top two pair. The dealer didn't make Bort wait, dropping the pot-clinching   right onto fourth street. There was no bark from Bort, but he did let out a couple loud shrieks of joy as he ran off through the ropes to high-five his buddy in the bleachers.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:31 PM Local Time

The cards are back in the air!

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:21 PM Local Time

The players are off for a 10-minute break. They'll play three more levels before taking a one-hour dinner break right around 6:30 p.m.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:20 PM Local Time

Ted Bort limped from the cutoff seat and the button limped behind. The small blind completed and the big blind checked to see the flop come    . Action checked through to Bort and he bet 600. The button raised to 2,000. After the two blinds folded, Bort gave it some thought and then folded as well. He's sitting with 27,400 after this hand.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:15 PM Local Time

We apologize for the sporadic nature of our updates for this Day 1 so far. It appears that the router powering our desk has decided to misbehave badly, and it's apparently quite hard to find someone to remedy that issue during a Sunday blizzard in Lake Tahoe.

The casino's IT staff is doing what they can, but we're told that there are "no guarantees".